Re: [dev] st: selecting text affects both primary and clipbaord

From: Greg Reagle <greg.reagle_AT_umbc.edu>
Date: Mon, 09 Mar 2015 16:32:02 -0400

On Mon, Mar 9, 2015, at 04:15 PM, Christoph Lohmann wrote:
> Can you please elaborate where you use both selections in parallel for
> different tasks and where st does interfere?

Hi Christoph. Well actually yes I do use both selections independently.
I use clipboard selection when I explicitly command cut/copy/paste, and
I use primary selection when I implicitly copy/paste (i.e. when
selecting with mouse-button-1 and pasting with mouse-button-2). I keep
track of them separately in my mind and they have different contents and
I use them for different purposes. I find this feature quite useful.
Having st set both selections when I'm just selecting with the mouse
destroys my clipboard selection data. It is all explained in the web
page that I've referred to several times already.

But this discussion happened already on this list, and despite the
obvious correctness of what I'm saying here, the powers that be
preferred to keep the current broken behavior, so the correct behavior
is now a patch on the wiki.

--
http://www.fastmail.com - Email service worth paying for. Try it for free