Re: [dev] sed breaks utf8 in [ ]

From: Roger <rogerx.oss_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Mar 2015 17:28:45 -0400

> On Mon, Mar 30, 2015 at 08:33:48PM +0200, FRIGN wrote:
>On Mon, 30 Mar 2015 19:05:19 +0200
>Markus Wichmann <nullplan_AT_gmx.net> wrote:
>
>> How about simply calling setlocale()? Or was that too simple? If the
>> user has set a non-UTF-8 locale and then uses UTF-8, that's on them!
>
>POSIX locales are an insane concept. Unicode has already gone a long
>way to define sane international collation and sorting sequences which
>make sense. The idea of localized differences has its origin in the
>sick minds of the POSIX-authors.
>
>sbase and ubase are one part of a protest against all this locale-
>madness. I agree there should be localized date-formats, but everything
>beyond that is mostly insane.
>We assume a UTF-8-locale and that's it. setlocale is just ugly and imho
>not the solution to this issue.

I recently fell back to using only ASCII (or C/POSIX), as I realized I do not
use any UTF-8 chars, etc. (Eh, Windows now uses UTF-16 by default from what I
hear, and I don't even speak any Asian languages!)

Less chars equals less processor and memory usage. ;-)

No need for funky apostrophe usage within the English language.

Maybe I now need to Internationalize the sound of my surname, because it sounds
too ASCII?

--
Roger
http://rogerx.freeshell.org/