Re: [dev] sed breaks utf8 in [ ]

From: FRIGN <dev_AT_frign.de>
Date: Mon, 30 Mar 2015 20:33:48 +0200

On Mon, 30 Mar 2015 19:05:19 +0200
Markus Wichmann <nullplan_AT_gmx.net> wrote:

> How about simply calling setlocale()? Or was that too simple? If the
> user has set a non-UTF-8 locale and then uses UTF-8, that's on them!

POSIX locales are an insane concept. Unicode has already gone a long
way to define sane international collation and sorting sequences which
make sense. The idea of localized differences has its origin in the
sick minds of the POSIX-authors.

sbase and ubase are one part of a protest against all this locale-
madness. I agree there should be localized date-formats, but everything
beyond that is mostly insane.
We assume a UTF-8-locale and that's it. setlocale is just ugly and imho
not the solution to this issue.

Cheers

FRIGN

--