Re: [dev] sed breaks utf8 in [ ]

From: Anselm R Garbe <garbeam_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 31 Mar 2015 11:25:57 +0200

On 30 March 2015 at 20:33, FRIGN <dev_AT_frign.de> wrote:
> On Mon, 30 Mar 2015 19:05:19 +0200
> Markus Wichmann <nullplan_AT_gmx.net> wrote:
>
>> How about simply calling setlocale()? Or was that too simple? If the
>> user has set a non-UTF-8 locale and then uses UTF-8, that's on them!
>
> POSIX locales are an insane concept. Unicode has already gone a long
> way to define sane international collation and sorting sequences which
> make sense. The idea of localized differences has its origin in the
> sick minds of the POSIX-authors.
>
> sbase and ubase are one part of a protest against all this locale-
> madness. I agree there should be localized date-formats, but everything
> beyond that is mostly insane.
> We assume a UTF-8-locale and that's it. setlocale is just ugly and imho
> not the solution to this issue.

Amen.

How about a POSICK_INC and POSICK; macros that you put into config.mk
for those buildings with glibc. By default it'll be just undefined.

In case of glibc you comment in config.mk:

# uncomment for glibc usage
#CLFAGS_POSICK = -DPOSICK_INC='#include <locale.h>'
-DPOSICK='setlocale(LC_ALL, "en_UK.UTF_8")'
CLFAGS = ... ${CFLAGS_POSICK}

Best regards,
Anselm