Re: [dev] books that rock

From: Roger <rogerx.oss_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 25 Apr 2015 13:20:24 -0400

> On Sat, Apr 25, 2015 at 02:37:58AM -0400, Wolfgang Corcoran-Mathe wrote:
>Hi all,
>
>Good books and papers come up frequently in [dev] threads, many
>of which must be new to some readers. Would there be any value in
>adding a 'Books' section to suckless.org/rocks for less-sucking
>programming reading material?
>
>My lazy searching for decent lists of programming books has turned
>up only horrors; if people mention books like The Unix Programming
>Environment at all, it is for historical interest. A short list of
>well-written books following the philosophy of simplicity would be
>a great antidote to current fashion.

C on Freenode IRC seems to maintain a good listing of free and commercial
books.
http://www.iso-9899.info/
http://www.iso-9899.info/wiki/Books

I know what you mean concerning book quality. I have three or four free and
commercial Git books, all of which contain obviously bad grammar, and poor
writing skills. (ie. What's a proofreader? How many times do I have to
repeatedly read a sentence, before I understand what the author is saying?)

I like having to read only one de-facto book, versus having to read all three
or four books at once in order to grasp a subject. Manual pages are good
typically only for referencing or acquiring an initial understanding, or a
working knowledge.

--
Roger
http://rogerx.freeshell.org/