Re: [dev] Odds and ends (2/2): $XEMBED

From: Jason Woofenden <jason_AT_jasonwoof.com>
Date: Wed, 6 May 2015 10:28:24 -0400

> In fact, leaving that for tabbed to do could well be enough. If you
> run surf so it opens in a new tab then you can switch back to the
> terminal if you wish, which couldn't be done in Plan 9, but seems
> reasonably useful.

If you don't replace the terminal window, then you're just talking
about window management, which should perhaps be done with the
window manager. The XEMBED thing only works on a few clients. The
WM can meddle with just about all the clients.

tabbed is neato, and I'd probably use it, (at least for a while) if
I was happier with surf, but I can't help thinking that the cleaner
and more generally useful solution is to build whatever tabbing
features you want into the WM. That way you can have tabs with
whatever windows you want.

Another way you can get close to having the new graphical client
replace your terminal is to auto-close the terminal by binding a
key in your shell to run the program you typed in the background
and then close the terminal. I did this trick to create a
run-dialog with zsh. Here's the zsh keybind that does the important
magick:

        bindkey -s "^M" "^E >/dev/null 2>&1 &! ; exit\n"

This would be a little cleaner if you set your WM to stack new
windows just after the focused one.

--
Jason