Re: [dev] Odds and ends (2/2): $XEMBED

From: Connor Lane Smith <cls_AT_lubutu.com>
Date: Wed, 6 May 2015 18:24:50 +0100

On 6 May 2015 at 15:28, Jason Woofenden <jason_AT_jasonwoof.com> wrote:
> If you don't replace the terminal window, then you're just talking
> about window management, which should perhaps be done with the
> window manager. The XEMBED thing only works on a few clients. The
> WM can meddle with just about all the clients.

I'm not sure this can be done for clients not supporting an XEmbed
flag, since there is no way in general to associate PIDs with XIDs.
The two processes have to be in cahoots.

> Another way you can get close to having the new graphical client
> replace your terminal is to auto-close the terminal by binding a
> key in your shell to run the program you typed in the background
> and then close the terminal.

This has a few drawbacks:

* You have to remember a new keybind, only for backgrounding X clients.
* If the command fails you can't tell or see why, since stderr is lost.
* Once the command has finished you can't go back to the terminal.

All in all, I think having a wrapper for this is worthwhile.

Thanks,
cls