Re: [dev] dvtm: don't change master or numbering

From: Marc André Tanner <mat_AT_brain-dump.org>
Date: Tue, 26 May 2015 19:31:03 +0200

On Fri, May 22, 2015 at 02:26:30PM -0400, Greg Reagle wrote:
> Hello. I would like dvtm to behave differently. I don't want creating
> a new shell window (Mod-c) to make the new shell window the master; I
> want the master to stay the master.

Why would you want that? It seems natural to place the new window in
the master area. It is also how dwm behaves.

> I also don't want creating a new
> shell window to renumber all the windows; I want the new window to be
> one plus the last window number.

For me the number refers to a place where the window is being displayed
hence if I select MOD+2 I always want to select the first window of
the stack area.

If you want a stable and unique identifier for a window (e.g. for
scripting purposes) you can use its id. However since the ids only ever
increase (after closing a few windows you will encounter gaps) it is
probably not what you want.

--
 Marc André Tanner >< http://www.brain-dump.org/ >< GPG key: CF7D56C0