Re: [dev] dvtm: don't change master or numbering

From: Greg Reagle <greg.reagle_AT_umbc.edu>
Date: Tue, 26 May 2015 13:51:26 -0400

On Tue, May 26, 2015, at 01:31 PM, Marc André Tanner wrote:
> On Fri, May 22, 2015 at 02:26:30PM -0400, Greg Reagle wrote:
> > Hello. I would like dvtm to behave differently. I don't want creating
> > a new shell window (Mod-c) to make the new shell window the master; I
> > want the master to stay the master.
>
> Why would you want that? It seems natural to place the new window in
> the master area. It is also how dwm behaves.

It is a matter of personal preference. I usually keep mutt in my master
window and I want it to stay in the master because the master is the
largest window. When I create or un-minimize new windows, I don't want
them to displace mutt. Before I wrote this patch, I would have to do a
zoom after every create or un-minimize.

> > I also don't want creating a new
> > shell window to renumber all the windows; I want the new window to be
> > one plus the last window number.
> For me the number refers to a place where the window is being displayed
> hence if I select MOD+2 I always want to select the first window of
> the stack area.

I assume you are misunderstanding me, because I agree with you that when
I select Mod+2 I always want the first window of the stack. I want
created or un-minimized clients to go to the last window of the stack.
I am not suggesting changing the way window numbering works.

> If you want a stable and unique identifier for a window (e.g. for
> scripting purposes) you can use its id. However since the ids only ever
> increase (after closing a few windows you will encounter gaps) it is
> probably not what you want.

Thanks for letting me know about this, but I am not writing scripts for
it but using it interactively.

--
http://www.fastmail.com - Email service worth paying for. Try it for free