Re: [dev] [surf] Using more memory than firefox

From: <tautolog_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 01 Jun 2015 09:54:46 -0700

Hi Ivan,

How are you determining the memory use of multiple processes? Is it accounting for shared mappings? For example, I have a database application that has mappings shared across processes for each core. When I look at top(1), my memory usage would appear to be 200% when 4 processes are reporting 50% usage. 49% is shared across all processes. ‎In an application like surf, where it loads a lot of shared libraries, the shared mappings are code, not data.

Also, I prefer to isolate state between different browser windows/tabs. ‎If firefox is sharing process state between windows, and saving memory usage that way, then I see it as a security design issue.

Ben