Re: [dev] surf release?

From: Dmitrij D. Czarkoff <czarkoff_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 1 Jun 2015 19:08:30 +0200

Martti Kühne said:
> However upstream is not everyone's taste either, in that configuration
> changes require recompiling of the respective binary.

Exactly! I have a big patch for surf 0.6; it takes time to adopt these
changes to current snapshot, and there are better ways to waste that
time then to cherry-pick the changes.

You may argue that I could follow the development closely and update my
patch with every commit. But that actually requires even more time, and
yet more time to build every revision.

My solution is simple - I have a patch against surf package (which is -
wait for it! - of latest *version*). This way I only have to modify my
patch with every release. This works perfectly when maintainer indeed
bumps package version when user-visible feature lands in source tree.
Of course, this fails miserably when maintainer doesn't grasp the
concept of version.

--
Dmitrij D. Czarkoff