Re: [dev] [dvtm] Mouse clicks on tags patch

From: Ross Mohn <rpmohn_AT_waxandwane.org>
Date: Tue, 23 Jun 2015 11:46:25 -0400

On Tue, Jun 23, 2015 at 01:01:15PM +0200, Marc André Tanner wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 05, 2015 at 11:43:27AM -0400, Ross Mohn wrote:
> > Hi again,
> >
> > The attached patch allows you to assign functions to mouse clicks on the
> > tag indicators in the status bar. The default actions are:
> >
> > * left click to toggle viewing that tag
> > * left double click to view only that tag
> > * middle click to view all tags
> > * right click to toggle assignment of the current client to that tag
> >
> > I want to expand the functionality to include the ability to assign
> > functions to mouse clicks on other parts of the status bar, such as
> > clicking on the layout indicator to cycle through the layouts, and
> > clicking on the text area to create a new client. But, this will be much
> > cleaner and require much less code if we switch the mouse handling to be
> > more like that of the current dwm code.
> >
> > So, I've attached this patch as is, with its functionality for pressing
> > just on the tag indicators in the status bar, but I'm stopping there and
> > will work on rewriting the mouse handling in general within dvtm.
>
> I agree that the mouse handling code could be cleaned up. What is the
> state of your rewrite? Should I wait for it, or should I consider
> applying the patch as is?

My rewrite is nowhere, not started, but I don't think the submitted
patch is ready to be applied yet either. I experienced some unexpected
crashes when running with it on AIX that might be related to the patch
but I ran out of free time to investigate further.

Besides looking at the current dwm mouse handling implementation as a
model, I think it would also be good to look at switching to the way dwm
implements tags as a bit array rather than a string array. I remember
when this change was made in dwm, and it is nice.

-Ross