Re: [dev] [surf] new surf2 branch

From: Wolfgang Corcoran-Mathe <first.lord.of.teal_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 4 Jul 2015 13:38:19 -0400

Quentin,

Quoth Quentin Rameau on Sat, Jul 04 2015 11:30 +0200:
> > Doesn't this imply a DBus dependency?
>
> Maybe, I didn't really look into the gtk3 dependency tree.
> But what's your point?

I'm curious as to whether the price of viewing the 'modern web' is
running DBus, given (A) the quality of the DBus software and (B) the
people pushing it as part of the udev/systemd nightmare.

> Sadly, I think that when using big graphical toolkits like gtk, and monsters
> like WebKitGTK, you're sooner or later bound to bring in a lot of dependencies.
> Regarding WebKit/GTK2, I see here on that linux that it brings enchant
> (for spellchecking) which brings in dbus. There's also libcups
> (for printing support) which brings avahi which depends on dbus…

webkitgtk1 can at least be coerced to work without DBus (disabling
all of that stuff), but no such hope exists for webkitgtk2.

With a library as Kafkaesque as webkitgtk, though, complaining about
the need for DBus might be like criticizing the color of an
interrogator's uniform.

--
wcm