Re: [dev] paste_AT_

From: Anselm R Garbe <garbeam_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 4 Nov 2015 19:10:20 +0100

Hi Christoph,

On 4 November 2015 at 17:26, Christoph Lohmann <20h_AT_r-36.net> wrote:
> On Wed, 04 Nov 2015 17:26:28 +0100 Anselm R Garbe <garbeam_AT_gmail.com> wrote:
>> I do like the idea of having a paste recording. But I don't like the
>> idea of making it mailinglist based. That sucks. You will end up using
>> a mail archiver to look through your paste history? Sounds terrible to
>> me.
>
> Well, the mail archiver could be improved. But actually, how to handle
> e‐mail is on the user’s side, not the server side. This is what I think
> is the difference to the web based solutions: No centralisation of the
> storage. This will prevent the new Google paradigma of universal search,
> but there should be more responsibility on the users side too. And we
> get the mail features for free: Discussions, threads, proper MIME encod‐
> ing, mail reprocessing etc.

The decentralization aspect is a fair point, though particularly for
the kind of data you are referring to "to paste" I would rather
suggest to use a world-writeable git repository. With this everybody
can paste->commit and all the clones are the decentralized data
storage. Querying for particular data can be done via grep and even
scripts could be added nicely.

I still don't get the point why a mailinglist is particularly good for
decentralized data storage. What if someone missed some pastes,
because he subscribed late(r)?

BR,
Anselm