Re: [dev] [sbase] Portability

From: Dimitris Papastamos <sin_AT_2f30.org>
Date: Thu, 26 Nov 2015 09:44:49 +0000

On Thu, Nov 26, 2015 at 01:52:23AM -0500, Random832 wrote:
> I downloaded and built sbase for my OSX system to test the cal program,
> and noticed (and fixed locally) several issues.
>
> Before posting any patches, I wanted to ask - philosophically speaking,
> how much effort should sbase put towards supporting systems that don't
> support the latest-and-greatest POSIX functions? Three functions were
> missing (utimensat, clock_gettime, and fmemopen), and fmemopen in
> particular required an extensive implementation, which I found online
> (https://github.com/NimbusKit/memorymapping) rather than writing myself.
>
> Also, if these are added should they go in libutil or a new "libcompat"?

If nothing else, we can put some of these patches on the wiki. Given
that some interfaces might require OS specific glue code to function
on a particular OS, it would only make sense to support this with an
external patch.

sbase should only contain code that runs on POSIX systems (with some
minor exceptions) and fallback implementations for non-standardized
interfaces that can be implemented portably on top of POSIX interfaces.