Re: [dev] [vis] vis editor status update

From: Marc André Tanner <mat_AT_brain-dump.org>
Date: Fri, 4 Dec 2015 00:17:12 +0100

On Wed, Dec 02, 2015 at 10:35:54AM +0100, Silvan Jegen wrote:
> Heyho
>
> Shame you couldn't make it to the suckless conference. I would have
> been interested in your talk about vis.

Maybe another time.

> On Sun, Nov 29, 2015 at 8:13 PM, Marc André Tanner <mat_AT_brain-dump.org> wrote:
> > On Tue, Jul 28, 2015 at 06:48:56PM +0200, Marc André Tanner wrote:
> >> Recent changes in no particular order include:
> >
> > [...]
> >
> > - new input handling based on libtermkey supporting key aliases
> > - Lua LPeg based syntax highlighting using definitions from scintillua
> >
> > The last two items introduce dependencies on libtermkey (for input
> > handling) and Lua (>= 5.1) + LPeg for Parsing Expression Grammar
> > based syntax highlighting. Some of you might not like them, but in
> > my opinion they are the least sucking solutions I could come up with
>
> As far as embedable scripting languages go Lua seems like the most
> suckless solution. For me the much lauded simple "stack-like" Lua-C
> interface is not *that* easy to understand though.

Conceptually it is really simple, it just requires some time to get
used to the adressing modes (either from top or bottom of the stack)
and to become familiar with the most important functions.

> The advantages of the libtermkey input handling were not immediately
> evident to me when briefly looking at the code. What was the
> motivation for using the library?

Basically to get keyboard input in a vim like a symbolic key format.
Therefore the default key binding configuration in config.def.h
looks something like:

 { "<Backspace>", ... },

instead of

 { KEY(BACKSPACE), ... },
 { CONTROL('w'), NONE('j'), ... },

which makes them useable for the :help output and will eventually
enable run time key bindings i.e. some sort of :map command.

Not strictly related, but key binding lookup was also simplified by
storing these strings in a crit-bit tree based map.

--
 Marc André Tanner >< http://www.brain-dump.org/ >< GPG key: 10C93617