Re: [dev] [dwm] 6.1 release

From: Matthew of Boswell <mordervomubel+suckless_AT_lockmail.us>
Date: Mon, 7 Dec 2015 10:51:25 -0500

On Mon, 7 Dec 2015 16:14:10 +0100
"G.H." <gerry.gazules_AT_gmail.com> wrote:
> I also have problems with 6.1; it won't compile because of a lack of xft
> fonts on my machine, or, I think that's my problem.

Huh? What OS/distro are you guys using that you don't already have
libxft? I have so many packages that rely on it.

% pacman -Si dwm
Name : dwm
Version : 6.1-1
Depends On : libx11 libxinerama libxft freetype2
Build Date : Mon 09 Nov 2015 05:37:39 AM EST

% pacman -Qi libxft
Name : libxft
Version : 2.3.2-1
Description : FreeType-based font drawing library for X
Architecture : x86_64
Licenses : custom
Depends On : fontconfig libxrender
Required By : conky dmenu fltk m17n-lib pango tk xorg-x11perf xorg-xclock xorg-xdm xorg-xfd
Optional For : None
Installed Size : 160.00 KiB
Build Date : Fri 06 Jun 2014 05:43:48 PM EDT
Install Date : Sat 14 Jun 2014 01:45:44 AM EDT
Install Reason : Installed as a dependency for another package
Install Script : No

> I do like DWM and I'd would like to continue using it.
> Regards, GH

If you don't like the changes in 6.1, you don't have to install it. Why
upgrade if dwm 6.0 behaves exactly the way you want? It's not like dwm
adds a zillion new features with an upgrade; you have to add those
yourself by patching.

"Jakub Lach" <jakub_lach_AT_mailplus.pl> wrote:
> no usable changelog to ease the transition attached

This is all you get for a changelog: http://git.suckless.org/dwm/log/

If you want more detail, you can learn a bit of C and look at the commit
diffs.

There is no end-user support here. Most of us don't want to spend our
free time on it, and we don't want "help vampires" to feel welcome.
Also, most of us don't really care whether or not you use dwm at all -
you didn't pay for it.

--
Matt Boswell