Re: [dev] Accessory for dwm

From: Christoph Lohmann <20h_AT_r-36.net>
Date: Sun, 20 Dec 2015 12:21:40 +0100

Greetings.

On Sun, 20 Dec 2015 12:21:40 +0100 Markus Wichmann <nullplan_AT_gmx.net> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have been using a small accessory application for dwm for a long time,
> that I called dwmclock. What it did for the longest time was format the
> load averages and the current time into a string, then set that as X11
> root window name (dwm would thus display it in the bar window).

There's dwmstatus: [0]

> Today, I decided to change it into something more useful (I know the
> flashplayer is stressing my CPU, so I don't need an application to tell
> me). Also I thought utilization of the network is a more useful
> information than utilization of my CPU, especially in this current time
> of traffic shaping and other such nonsense.
>
> Long story short, I wrote a dwmclock, that also displays the current
> default interface's first letter (usually sufficient, as most people
> have only at most one network card of each type in their machines), as
> well as download and upload speeds. Currently it only works on linux,
> though, as it reads the /proc and /sys interfaces (and that also means
> it's subject to breakage on kernel upgrade. Sigh.)
>
> As usual, criticisms and improvement suggestions are welcome. I already
> know of one problem: I'm reading the interface statistics, which count
> every received byte, even if it's from a broadcast message on a protocol
> we don't care about or the like. I have no idea how to only count IP
> traffic, however.

You can add it to the wikipage above, see [1].

Sincerely,

Christoph Lohmann

[0] http://dwm.suckless.org/dwmstatus/
[1] http://suckless.org/wiki

💻 http://r-36.net
💻 gopher://r-36.net
http://r-36.net/about
🔐 1C3B 7E6F 9805 E5C8 C0BD 1F7F EA21 7AAC 09A9 CB55
🔐 http://r-36.net/about/20h.asc
📧 20h_AT_r-36.net