Re: [dev] [ANNOUNCE] vis-0.1: first release of a vim-like editor

From: Marc André Tanner <mat_AT_brain-dump.org>
Date: Sun, 17 Jan 2016 19:23:06 +0100

On Sun, Jan 17, 2016 at 05:28:14PM +0100, Silvan Jegen wrote:
> The command history buffer does not yet work correctly for me but I am
> very glad to see the first version working for some cases already.

Could you give a few more details? What unexpected behaviour did you
encounter. As mentioned elsewhere it is fairly new and still rough
around the edges.

The main idea is that it is just a regular file with slightly different
default key bindings. Maybe it should be displayed in full size as well
(currently it only expands after pressing <Up>).

> In addition to Markus' items I am missing the following.
>
> - commandline file completion on TAB key hit (when using `:edit` for example)

I do not like duplicating this shell functionality inside the editor.
The current source tree contains a `vis-open` shell script which
provides basic file system navigation by means of fuzzy matching using
either slmenu or dmenu. It is invoked by default if you open a directory

 :split .

or supply a path containing other shell wildcards such as *, {, or [.

The other mentioned features (as well as the filter and search commands
or more generally any potentially long running task) require some sort
of async task framework which does not block the editor core while
communicating with the spell checker / code completer etc.

Marc

--
 Marc André Tanner >< http://www.brain-dump.org/ >< GPG key: 10C93617