Re: [dev] [ANNOUNCE] vis-0.1: first release of a vim-like editor

From: Jan Christoph Ebersbach <jceb_AT_e-jc.de>
Date: Mon, 18 Jan 2016 08:24:14 +0100

Hi Marc,

I like vis very much. It's blazing fast and comes with good defaults.
The following things I noticed:

- Setting defaults requires patching some c file instead of config.def.h

- Background/Foreground colors are only applied when syntax highlighting
  is possible for the currently loaded file

- I miss that I can't align multiple cursors in insert mode, i.e. to
  align all "=" over multiple lines. The editor kakoune supports this
  nicely

- I also miss C-a and C-x for dealing with numbers .. but that's just a
  minor inconvenience right now

- It took me ages to start vis with the proper VIS_PATH and VIS_THEME
  settings. My installation directory for vis is ~/.local which is not
  part of the default locations. Furthermore, the manpage still refers
  to ~/.vis as the location where to put my personal configuration but
  it is actually ~/.config/vis. I had to create a little shell script
  that sets VIS_PATH and VIS_THEME before starting vis. In my opinion
  these obstacles make it very hard to start playing around with it.

Since I'm using a light terminal background, I recreated the papercolor
theme. Please feel free to integrate it:
https://github.com/jceb/dotfiles/blob/master/config/vis/lexers/themes/papercolor.lua

Keep up the good work!

Jan Christoph

--
Jan Christoph Ebersbach
I didn’t want some petty, inferior brand of righteousness that comes