Re: [dev] [vis] vis lua integration not working when using lua 5.3

From: Silvan Jegen <s.jegen_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Jan 2016 09:11:07 +0100

On Wed, Jan 20, 2016 at 07:17:09PM +0100, Marc André Tanner wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 20, 2016 at 03:07:28PM +0100, Silvan Jegen wrote:
> > Has anyone used vis successfully with lua 5.3?
>
> Yes I had it running with 5.3 at some point. I guess you do
> not have LPeg installed (for 5.3). A first try would be to
> change into the `lexers` sub directory inside the vis source
> tree and start the lua interpreter:
>
> [...]

haha, I was expecting some convoluted API-version incompatibility issue
but I just did not have LPeg 5.3 installed... installing the library
fixed the issue, thanks.

> Hope that helps. And yes error reporting will eventually be
> improved ...

While searching for the source of the issue I was wondering about how to
handle error reporting in vis the best way.

I came up with only two general approaches. Either send error messages
to the UI (including a sleep() so that errors further down in the call
chain don't get eclipsed) or log them to a file (both approaches feel like
bad choices). I wonder how other TUI programs handle their error messages.