[dev] [surf] hidebackground- black background, expected transparent

From: skotchpine nonconformant <skotchpine_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 25 Jan 2016 02:05:32 -0600

Howdy devs,

The hidebackground definition in config.h determines whether or not
webkit_web_view_set_transparent is called on the client's
webkit_web_view in surf.c

I expected this to leave any unspecified-background transparent.
However, I'm left with solid black. This is on the latest Arch Linux
kernel, Xorg, gtk and webkit stuff, and DWM. I've tried with both
compton and xcompmgr as composite wizards.

Bonus: I've also tried recompiling webkit and webkit2 with the
--enable-dashboard-support flag. I was led to believe this may be a
solution from some stuckunderflow thread.

I'm hungry for a transparency-able web browser (wouldn't mind keeping
surf around either). Any experiences, gotchas or direction in getting
there would be much appreciated.