Re: [dev] [vis] text_line_end() in insert mode

From: Marc André Tanner <mat_AT_brain-dump.org>
Date: Mon, 1 Feb 2016 19:49:22 +0100

On Mon, Feb 01, 2016 at 10:02:28AM +0000, Raphaël Proust wrote:
> Markus, Marc, &c.,
>
> On 31 January 2016 at 18:56, Markus Teich <markus.teich_AT_stusta.mhn.de> wrote:
> > Marc André Tanner wrote:
> >> The END-mapping was actually using text_line_lastchar not text_line_end. I
> >> now added a new key action for text_line_end. The behaviour might still be
> >> inconsistent (for example in vim's visual modes `$` seems to behave like
> >> <End>) but at least it can now be configured via config.def.h.
> >
> > vim seems to be inconsistent here.
>
> It's not that simple.
>
> A subtle thing that vim does is that the notion of cursor is different
> in normal and insert mode.

Yes I'm aware of that and think it is a stupid/unnecessary thing to do.
This is also the reason why repeated switching into/out of insert mode
(i.e. i<Esc>i<Esc> ...) moves the cursor to the left.

Previous discussion of these issues and resulting inconsistencies between
vis/vim can also be found at[1].

> Idea: modify `st` so it can change `cursorahape` dynamically, modify
> `vis` to change the cursor on mode change.

This won't work because multiple cursors are intended to be first class
citizens of vis and as far as I know there is no way to create those in
the terminal (emulation) world.

[1] https://github.com/martanne/vis/pull/54#issuecomment-116181551

--
 Marc André Tanner >< http://www.brain-dump.org/ >< GPG key: 10C93617