Re: [dev] [surf] Why yank to primary instead of clipboard?

From: Kamil Cholewiński <harry666t_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 03 Feb 2016 10:04:52 +0100

On Wed, 03 Feb 2016, robin <robin.a.t.pedersen_AT_gmail.com> wrote:
> The function clipboard(Client *c, const Arg *arg)
> uses GDK_SELECTION_PRIMARY instead of GDK_SELECTION_CLIPBOARD.
>
> For me, thats a hassle.
> How do i copy a uri to send to a friend?
>
> I changed it to use CLIPBOARD, but I am wondering:
> Is there any good reason to use PRIMARY?

> How do i copy a uri to send to a friend?

Middle click.

> uses GDK_SELECTION_PRIMARY instead of GDK_SELECTION_CLIPBOARD.

Yes, this is really confusing and frustrating, I have to reach for the
mouse when otherwise dealing with an almost keyboard-only environment.

Also the key combination is extremely confusing - C-y in almost every
place in the world (including bash, emacs, dmenu) means paste, not copy.
The cumulative time spent going back and re-copying is too damn high.

K.