Re: [dev] [ANNOUNCE] vis-0.1: first release of a vim-like editor

From: Marc André Tanner <mat_AT_brain-dump.org>
Date: Sun, 7 Feb 2016 16:30:19 +0100

On Tue, Jan 19, 2016 at 04:14:55PM -0500, Matthew of Boswell wrote:
> On Tue, 19 Jan 2016 14:16:37 +0100
> Marc André Tanner <mat_AT_brain-dump.org> wrote:
>
> > > - I also miss C-a and C-x for dealing with numbers .. but that's just a
> > > minor inconvenience right now
> >
> > These seem to be popular? I'm just using change or replace/overwrite for
> > these use cases.
>
> Haha, you wouldn't think such a minor "feature bloat" in vim would be
> so often used. I do the same thing... I a little annoyed when I use
> a vim emulator that doesn't have ctrl+a and ctrl+x support. It's
> basically a handy basic calculator. I do addition/subtraction on large
> numbers in code (handy when making adjustments and dealing with pixel
> width/padding issues).
>
> Example:
> 0x14
> type: 8 C-a
> answer: 0x1c

I decided to implement it because:

 1) The way the underlying text management data structure is currently
    implemented these repetetive changes of the same text regions presents
    an (almost) worst case in terms of memory usage.

 2) It turned out to be relatively straight forward to do. It might
    not support all the special cases of vim. For example it is currently
    not repeatable.

Also due to conflicts with existing keybindigs (<C-a> alignment of
multiple cursors) it is currently not enabled by default. You will
need something like:

 :map! normal <C-a> <number-increment>
 :map! normal <C-x> <number-decrement>

--