[dev] [dwmutil] general state? And a small tool for color bending.

From: Stefan Schulze <stefan.andre.schulze_AT_googlemail.com>
Date: Tue, 9 Feb 2016 16:06:01 +0100

Good day y'all,

I've been lurking the mailing-lists since wmii days. Hi!

I would like to know if there has been any progress on the dwmutil
front that was mentioned in one of the presentations at slcon 2015?
Specifically the ad hoc color scheming. I like my 'professional' light
theme most of the time, but I get headaches when the ambient lighting
is to dark/warm (when I cannot change it) and would like my system
to switch some gloomier hacker looks, but the contrast shouldn't
decrease if possible, like when decreasing screen brightness.

Was there any specific implementation ideas? Providing the seven dwm
colors + 16 base colors for terminal? Can these be "legally" put into
one Atom of the root window? Some pointers on no-goes when using the
Atom beasts? It feels weird to litter that namespace with arbitrary
new variables.

In a first attempt [0] to reduce the strain on my eyes I tried my hand
at complying to the suckless philosophy and adapted this [1] tiny tool
to change color temperature. It uses xrandr to bend color channels. I
am not totally convinced this helps as advertised, but I had some
success making my girl friend telling me that she's getting dizzy when
looking at my screen. At least it does something.

I will give it some more testing. I mapped it to the same keys as
screen brightness up/down just different modifiers. It seems to work
better than just reducing the brightness, for me at least.

0: https://github.com/graupe/brownout
1: http://www.tedunangst.com/flak/post/sct-set-color-temperature

Cheers!
--