Re: [dev] [sbase][RFC] patch: whitespace patches

From: FRIGN <dev_AT_frign.de>
Date: Thu, 25 Feb 2016 15:04:14 +0100

On Thu, 25 Feb 2016 13:36:25 +0000
Dimitris Papastamos <sin_AT_2f30.org> wrote:

> I don't see how this has to do with handholding users.

It's simple. Handholding for me is you offer things which purposely
allow the user not to do certain things.
This whitespace flag purpots that the user won't have to read patches
anymore. Now, to actually live up to these expectations, you quickly
end up parsing the code of the patches to really, really exclude
correct statements and half-assedly detect evil behaviour.

patch(1), just like any other tool, has to be used carefully. If
you don't trust a patch, read it.
The sha1sum approach is also a very good approach, and afaik,
the LibreSSL developers use it regularly.

Cheers

FRIGN

--
FRIGN <dev_AT_frign.de>