Re: [dev] Hi, newb here.

From: Martti Kühne <mysatyre_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2016 20:29:42 +0200

On Mon, Apr 18, 2016 at 8:18 PM, ab <terminus_AT_cock.li> wrote:
> What kind of advice could you guys give to a novice? I'd like to get
> myself more familiar with Linux and C (because I have a copy of K&R).
> I'm asking you guys because you seem to know what you're doing and
> you're the only community I know which are committed to what you do.

work through k&r, and then read code written by other people to get an
impression about the libraries that are out there. You most easily get
off the ground if you also run the stuff you're reading and maybe
you'll like on git.suckless.org, only surf is probably outside that
"getting into practical c" domain. Quark, the suckless httpd is hosted
somewhere else if you want to look at sockets and networking. DWM, the
window manager was the thing that got me off the ground with after
only shallow encounters in the past.

I can also recommend the ##c channel on freenode which is not only
extremely entertaining (never be scared on the internet) but it's also
also very good place to learn about the subtleties of the c
programming language in its various forms as a working tool. That'll
probably lead to you downloading a copy of some version of the C
Programming Language Specification if you want to go portable, general
(non-gnu!) C - which is a good thing for all the various reasons.

cheers!
mar77i