Re: [dev] Languages that suck (was "Note On Webkit Versions")

From: Timothy Rice <t.rice_AT_ms.unimelb.edu.au>
Date: Mon, 2 May 2016 17:57:15 +1000

On Mon, May 02, 2016 at 09:36:56AM +0200, hiro wrote:
> the popularity of a language amongst hipsters is quite irrelevant. C
> is still the most used language in programs that actually do anything
> (i.e. not some "app" written in a markup language).

Lol, nice :)

However, arguing to tradition and commonality is not by itself a good
argument for the inherent qualities of a language. After all, apparently a
third of big businesses still require COBOL programmers because of all the
legacy code hanging around. Should the suckless community therefore
advocate COBOL on these grounds?

I'd be more interested to hear about what actually makes C inherently
better than Go. I quite like C: it forces you to think about the machine a
little bit, and it disincentivises large complicated programs. But I
currently have no rebuttals against the Go argument other than ad hominems
about hipsters ;)