Re: [dev] Languages that suck (was "Note On Webkit Versions")

From: Andrew Gwozdziewycz <web_AT_apgwoz.com>
Date: Tue, 3 May 2016 10:17:19 -0700

On Mon, May 2, 2016 at 4:57 PM, Sylvain BERTRAND
<sylvain.bertrand_AT_gmail.com> wrote:
> rust is better than go, or the other way around?

I'm not arguing for, or against either. I use Go and like and dislike
different aspects of it. I've written, maybe, 200 lines in rust so
it's premature to comment on that...

I will say that I, too, like the simplicity of a "subset of C", but
collaborating on a "subset of C" project that exceeds a few thousand
lines of code is *far* worse than collaborating on a larger system
implemented in Go, in my experience.

There's too many ways to shoot yourself in the foot in C, even when
using a subset of the language, even when being disciplined, which you
can stop worrying about in a "safer" language. Since programmers can't
keep more than a couple thousand lines of code in their head, and when
collaborating, probably even less, since they didn't write everything,
compiler enforced safety is a huge deal.

> Fight! (while I go code something in a subset of C).
> :)

Why even bother with C? If you were a *REAL* programmer, you'd simply
bang out assembly for armv8 and x86, then *hand* assemble it into a
very tiny statically linked binary. That's the problem here, right?
Binary size? "Simplicity" -- nothing simpler than labels and jmps,
AMIRITE?