Re: [dev] Linux distros that don't suck too too much

From: Charlie Kester <corky1951_AT_comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 12 May 2016 07:42:26 -0700

On Wed 11 May 2016 at 17:33:41 PDT hiro wrote:
>let's maintain a list of of requirements a distro should fulfill.
>perhaps we can make a nice table afterwards and see which OS fits
>these requirements out of the box.
>i'll start with this. convince me otherwise.
>
>1. package system: packages having few, sane dependencies (early
>tinycorelinux was excellent in this regard)

Package systems are both a symptom and a cause of bloat. They only
exist because most software, along with its metastasizing dependencies,
is a pain in the ass to compile.

The correct solution isn't hiding those problems with a package
manager, but to avoid those dependencies and the bloat in
individual programs by following suckless principles in the first place.

The ideal distro could get by with a ports system like in the BSDs or
Gentoo. (Which isn't to say those existing systems couldn't be
improved.)