Re: [dev] Re: Linux distros that don't suck too too much

From: Louis Santillan <lpsantil_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 12 May 2016 17:10:33 -0700

On Thu, May 12, 2016 at 4:31 PM, Jason Young <doomcup_AT_gmail.com> wrote:
[SNIP]
> suckless is about *simplicity*. Simplicity != easy to use. Simplicity
> means, basically, there's fewer parts to break, and there *being* fewer
> parts, it's easier to see *where* it breaks. Unfortunately, the more
> "easy to use" you make a piece of software, the bigger it gets and the
> more dependencies it accrues, and you're right back at suck software.

I don't believe the second part of this paragraph is a necessary
result or consequence of suckless. In fact, I'd argue that suckless
advocates for verified dependencies as opposed superfluous or presumed
dependencies. I feel like the following two quotes are corollaries of
suckless.

“Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but
when there is nothing left to take away.” - Antoine de Saint-Exupe

“Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler.” -
Albert Einstein