Re: [dev] Re: Linux distros that don't suck too too much

From: Jason Young <doomcup_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 12 May 2016 18:31:55 -0500

Congratulations. I couldn't have summed up better exactly what the
problem is with modern software communities.

You're willing to go into playground invective at a moment's notice, but
suddenly someone calls you on it, and you're all courtier's reply. That
you had trouble "interprete"-ing his "rhetorics" proves that, while you
might be up to date in IT and CS, you need some remedial classes in
reading comprehension.

You wanna get technical? Let's get technical:

What Rubén was trying to point out was this: computers are by their very
nature complex tools, and nobody knows how to use them without being
taught in one way or another. Some try to figure it out themselves, some
consult documentation, some attend classes.

However, people don't realize the complexity exists, partly because of
UI streamlining over the years, and partly because, as a society, we're
around these machines a lot more often.

suckless is about *simplicity*. Simplicity != easy to use. Simplicity
means, basically, there's fewer parts to break, and there *being* fewer
parts, it's easier to see *where* it breaks. Unfortunately, the more
"easy to use" you make a piece of software, the bigger it gets and the
more dependencies it accrues, and you're right back at suck software.

And if you think that the reasoning and philosophy behind all the
software and computer science stuff that you do isn't important, you're
part of the problem.

tl;dr Think about *why* you're doing this shit instead of doing it to
*be* doing it.