Re: [dev] [dlogout] I wrote a basic logout-/shutdown-menu for use with dwm.

From: Christoph Lohmann <20h_AT_r-36.net>
Date: Sun, 19 Jun 2016 07:12:43 +0200

Greetings.

On Sun, 19 Jun 2016 07:12:43 +0200 Thomas Oltmann <thomas.oltmann.hhg_AT_gmail.com> wrote:
> Hey everybody,
>
> I just started tinkering with dwm a couple of weeks ago. And I
> especially love how customisable and extensible it is. No weird 'writing
> Javascript Applets' or 'hooking into' other functions or fiddling with
> cryptic XML files - it's just C code.

This is not really suckless. You are interfacing with Polkit and and
Logind from systemd. The whole power part can be replaced with sudo
calls, the user being in an appropriate group and such a rule in the su‐
doers file. In comparison, this is smaller than the XML configuration
files of policykit and all the complexity you need to open the socket to
dbus, which calls the dbus listeners, which read a mass of configuration
files. For sudo this is reading just one file and granting access over
an easy to grasp schema of Unix users and groups.

As said by Kamil: A simple dmenu script which runs commands you allow in
sudo would have been simpler and needed less code. All the C functions
you wrote for C code are the cause of global warming. They are unneces‐
sary and just there because of the incompetence of systemd and dbus peo‐
ple.

Conclusion: Please stop this project, add a big warning for further
users to it, to instead of supporting the crap in Linux to support suck‐
less ways of handling your local environment.

Instead of wasting your time on the polkit and session metalayer, which
already exists but the systemd and dbus developers in their incompetence
never got it, work on a replacement for bluez and other dbus‐infested
services in Linux. Only with harsh movements against this »new standard«
it’s possible to not lose people into thinking »dbus was always there«.
Just imagine one generation of developers further: They will think dbus
is a thought out and pretty well designed technology. :O This should not
happen!

Sincerely,

Christoph Lohmann