Re: [dev] which versions are dwm patches intended to apply to cleanly?

From: Eric Pruitt <eric.pruitt_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 2 Jul 2016 10:12:46 -0700

On Sat, Jul 02, 2016 at 09:13:05AM -0700, Ben Woolley wrote:
> For releases, you could expose patches for only the branches ahead of the
> release, and that might encourage authors to maintain their branches, and
> patches could automatically be organized by release. A daily run could update
> the website automatically.
>
> That way, releases posted as a tarball will have patches, while revisions
> requiring git would have branches in git. No new dependencies, and a simple
> way to organize all patches without needing to mess with dates or revisions.
> There would only need to be release version and patch name. Each release
> could have its own folder with release-specific patches.

I don't like this idea because it adds a lot of extra work if I need a
patch that doesn't apply cleanly to the current release of dwm. Right
now, I can just navigate to the website, click the patch name and see a
list of them. Unless I'm missing something, I would have to use Git to
clone the sites repo, then cd into the repo, run "git branch" to see
what branches are available, "git checkout $BRANCH", figure out what the
name of the patch is then apply it. If it turns out $BRANCH doesn't have
the patch, I have to search some more.

Eric