Re: [dev] which versions are dwm patches intended to apply to cleanly?

From: Ben Woolley <tautolog_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 2 Jul 2016 11:17:53 -0700

> On Jul 2, 2016, at 10:12 AM, Eric Pruitt <eric.pruitt_AT_gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Sat, Jul 02, 2016 at 09:13:05AM -0700, Ben Woolley wrote:
>> For releases, you could expose patches for only the branches ahead of the
>> release, and that might encourage authors to maintain their branches, and
>> patches could automatically be organized by release. A daily run could update
>> the website automatically.
>>
>> That way, releases posted as a tarball will have patches, while revisions
>> requiring git would have branches in git. No new dependencies, and a simple
>> way to organize all patches without needing to mess with dates or revisions.
>> There would only need to be release version and patch name. Each release
>> could have its own folder with release-specific patches.
>
> I don't like this idea because it adds a lot of extra work if I need a
> patch that doesn't apply cleanly to the current release of dwm. Right
> now, I can just navigate to the website, click the patch name and see a
> list of them. Unless I'm missing something, I would have to use Git to
> clone the sites repo, then cd into the repo, run "git branch" to see
> what branches are available, "git checkout $BRANCH", figure out what the
> name of the patch is then apply it. If it turns out $BRANCH doesn't have
> the patch, I have to search some more.

The release would have all branches ahead of the release tag also expressed as patches automatically on the release website. So it would be the same as before, unless the patch were not forwarded past the release, in which case it would be present in a folder for the last release it was forwarded past.

Theoretically, all branches are past some release, so you wouldn't need to use git to work with any of the branches. Git would just be under the hood, and all patches would be available within git. You could chose either the posted patches, or git branches.

Looks like I just created yet another project for myself... A script that creates a tarball for a commit, and the patches for all branches ahead of that commit. A script that wraps around that, generating a folder for each tag.

That probably already has been created a hundred times already. I wouldn't be surprised if git already had a command for it somewhere.