Re: [dev] new pre-patched version of dwm available

From: Eric Pruitt <eric.pruitt_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 24 Jul 2016 20:42:04 -0700

On Sat, Jul 23, 2016 at 05:21:42PM +0200, FRIGN wrote:
> It's a difficult matter because patches interfere. I know of no way to
> make multiple patches inclusive to each other, in many cases it is not
> possible.

Something I do with my patches to make them easier manually edit the
resulting diffs to reduce lines of context for certain chunks. As a
result, rebasing some of changes on newer versions of dwm becomes a
little less painful. I will also sometimes write code in a less
efficient manner if it means I can produce a patch that won't conflict
with any of my other patches while still applying cleanly to dwm.

Up until about a month ago, I kept a copy of the dwm repo that I
periodically merged with the suckless master tree, but I now keep a
repository of patches alone that get applied to dwm using a Makefile
(https://github.com/ericpruitt/mydwm). More recently, I decided to
combine all of my suckless configurations and GUI-related programs into
a single repo that is yet unpublished but works similarly to the
aforementioned link. Here's what the Makefile for that currently looks
like: https://gist.github.com/ericpruitt/32f3f8b6c3df903d03f5e95ed8ba3428
I'm using GNU make and taking advantage of the numerous features it
provides. I know that monstrosity is far from suckless, but it works
well, and I've learned a lot about GNU make.

Eric