Re: [dev] new pre-patched version of dwm available

From: Jan Christoph Ebersbach <jceb_AT_e-jc.de>
Date: Sun, 31 Jul 2016 08:26:36 +0200

On Sun 24-07-2016 20:42 -0700, Eric Pruitt wrote:

> On Sat, Jul 23, 2016 at 05:21:42PM +0200, FRIGN wrote:
> > It's a difficult matter because patches interfere. I know of no way
> > to make multiple patches inclusive to each other, in many cases it
> > is not possible.
>
> Something I do with my patches to make them easier manually edit the
> resulting diffs to reduce lines of context for certain chunks. As a
> result, rebasing some of changes on newer versions of dwm becomes a
> little less painful. I will also sometimes write code in a less
> efficient manner if it means I can produce a patch that won't conflict
> with any of my other patches while still applying cleanly to dwm.

Have you tried to increase patch's fuzz factor with the --fuzz option in
order to achieve the same result?

> Up until about a month ago, I kept a copy of the dwm repo that I
> periodically merged with the suckless master tree, but I now keep a
> repository of patches alone that get applied to dwm using a Makefile
> (https://github.com/ericpruitt/mydwm).

I never used the rebase model described in the customization section.
Since you know both ways, why did you switch to patch files?

> More recently, I decided to combine all of my suckless configurations
> and GUI-related programs into a single repo that is yet unpublished
> but works similarly to the aforementioned link. Here's what the
> Makefile for that currently looks like:
> https://gist.github.com/ericpruitt/32f3f8b6c3df903d03f5e95ed8ba3428
> I'm using GNU make and taking advantage of the numerous features it
> provides. I know that monstrosity is far from suckless, but it works
> well, and I've learned a lot about GNU make.

Nice work. I keep dwm and other suckless tools as submodules in my
personal configuration repositories with simple build and install
scripts. A central location to update all tools is something I'm
missing in my setup.

Jan Christoph
--
Jan Christoph Ebersbach
I didn’t want some petty, inferior brand of righteousness that comes