Re: [dev] new pre-patched version of dwm available

From: Britton Kerin <britton.kerin_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2016 13:24:55 -0800

On Sun, Jul 24, 2016 at 7:26 PM, Ben Woolley <tautolog_AT_gmail.com> wrote:
> I think it is natural for related changes to be consolidated over time. Think of punctuated equilibrium.
>
> Maybe after it is clear that some patches just go well together, fitting a related niche, they could be consolidated to make maintenance easier.

In some cases this might be good. In others the larger consolidated
patch will be more likely to conflict with others, making it harder for
users to pick and choose their favorite features.

> On Jul 24, 2016, at 12:51 PM, Jan Christoph Ebersbach <jceb_AT_e-jc.de> wrote:
>> Personally, I'd recommend newbies that want to use a patched version to
>> find someone who's maintaining a "fork". Maybe these "forks" could be
>> listed in the patches section of the wiki. What do you think?

I think yes. I'd call them 'flavors' or "pre-rolled" rather than "forks" since
they would be friendly and aiming for maximum compatibility with other
patches.

It doesn't matter what I think though, and so far no buy-in from the
suckless admins...

Britton