Re: [dev] Shell style guide

From: Evan Gates <evan.gates_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 8 Sep 2016 07:39:02 -0700

On Thu, Sep 8, 2016 at 7:30 AM, Nick <suckless-dev_AT_njw.me.uk> wrote:
> I am against writing scripts that can deal with filenames with
> newlines. Fuck such filenames. If you have to deal with them, shell
> scripting is a terrible technology to use.

I too think newlines in filenames is stupid. I never put newlines in
my filenames. But I don't know if someone who uses a script I release
will have newlines in their filenames. It's not difficult to write
scripts that can handle all legal filenames. Also don't forget files
that start with -, or have * in the name or a whole bunch of others. I
have an evilfiles directory I run scripts in to test sometimes. It'll
scare you. (I tried to link to the directory on bitbucket, but it
seems their code can't handle it, I find that highly amusing)