Re: [dev] [stali] Boot time (was: The stali way to wifi)

From: hiro <23hiro_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 23 Oct 2016 23:03:12 +0200

> If all I want to do is flip my laptop closed to go from the kitchen to
 the bedroom…

then your laptop should realize you're doing nothing and keep the CPU
in idle state anyway. you shouldn't need to tell it specifically,
especially for such a short time. shouldn't be worth it.

sane laptops will switch off the light when the lid is closed without
software intervention.

for longer periods, like a whole night, or going outside somewhere i
obviously regularly put my laptop to standby. and indeed echo mem to
/sys/power/state is enough for this.
the problem is that this requires special software support in all
kinds of drivers, which indicates that the hardware got designed in a
silly way. but commonly you either have to use some stupid
"workaround" in the driver or you are left with completely ignoring
the existence of this "standby" feature.