Re: [dev] Collecting sins of Apple

From: Anselm R Garbe <garbeam_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2016 04:11:34 +0200

On 26 October 2016 at 02:05, <alp_AT_alexpilon.ca> wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 25, 2016 at 12:53:36PM +0200, Anselm R Garbe wrote:
>> To bring it to one sentence, Apple is about providing their stuff as
>> incompatible as possible with all non-Apple stuff. […] proceeds with
>> the keyboard layout,
>
> Unh, other than swapping Mod1 and Mod4, they've usually been the most
> consistent layout and non-minuscule keys unlike just about every other
> laptop manufacturer out there selling *consumer* grade keyboards. And is
> there even really any agreement on what a laptop keyboard layout should
> be?

Apple has swapped a couple of more things in the default qwerty
layout, already long ago in its pre-hipster supply age. And is has
kept its totally non-standard decisions all the way long until today.
But also its key combinations (shortcuts) for certain things are
totally absurd from a traditional control key viewpoint.

> They've just not been consistent in key switch quality.

I wasn't talking about the mediocre keyboard quality of Apple laptops,
which is far inferior when compared to the old IBM Thinkpad keyboard
quality and has never reached any competitive level on this. I agree
though, that there is not much difference among keyboards nowadays and
they all kind of suck. Probably the Lenovo TPs have still a slight
edge on this. But I switched to Dell a couple of years ago, since
Lenovo put me completely off with his hideous clickpad introduction
(which they have reverted in more recent models, but I don't care
atm).

>> goes on with accessory cable adapters and doesn't end with their
>> software stack consisting of propietary Apple-only protocols
>
> Thunderbolt in practice: implemented in software rather than firmware,
> no hotplug for a long time if at all ever. Which other consumers even
> see it?

It totally sucks. It's a nightmare.
I have experienced complete system freezes when unplugging displays
with quite recent (2014) MacBooks and current OSX versions.

***

I am experiencing Apple users suffering the Stockholm syndrome,
unwilling to "notice" the obvious problems or talking them away.

I kind of have to conclude, that Apple marketing must do some serious
brain wash to its potential customers, otherwise I cannot explain the
idiots waiting like lemmings in artificially created queues in front
of Apple stores when Apple starts to sell a little evolved "new"
product. But perhaps those are all paid and part of the marketing
strategy. The strategy isn't any new. All teenagers all over the world
already know the effect from night club operators. Outside its a
buzzing queue, inside no party ;)

Cheers,
Anselm