Re: [dev] Re: Linux distros that don't suck too too much

From: <sylvain.bertrand_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 2 Feb 2017 13:17:11 +0000

On Thu, Feb 02, 2017 at 07:24:15PM +0700, Михаил Ивко wrote:
> > On Wed, Feb 01, 2017 at 07:48:34PM +0100, Josuah Demangeon wrote:
> >>

> >> sylvain.bertrand_AT_gmail.com:

> >> I am curious about the languages that you would consider suckless.
> >>
> >> I learned POSIX shell scripting and awk, I am also trying C and a few lua.
> >>
> >> Is there something else you would advise to learn or something to avoid in
> >> properly used sh / awk / C / lua? Myrddin is on my to-do list.
> >
> > Write it in simple C, it's the best compromise. Compose C programs with simple
> > sh scripts.
>
> Why exactly C and Shell? Other than obvious historical reasons, I mean.
> It's a depressive thought that we as an industry hasn't come up with a
> better way to
> design systems than by combining two haphazardly thrown together languages
> from the 70s, and there's no room for improvement

Because those are the best compromise, far from perfect, they just suck less.
This is why "suckless" exists.

Please yourself to design a new language (you have already bazillions of
"competitors"). But first thing first: do write a reasonably performant kernel
with its 'kernel profile" (minimal set of the syntax in order to generate
reasonably good kernel machine code). I wish you very good luck with GPU
drivers, hence you should narrow it down to servers only... at the beginning, a
bit like gnu hurd? Don't forget a syntax profile friendly with mathematical proof,
but the basic syntax profiles in order to get something interesting actually
running should be reasonably writable by a very small set of coders in a
reasonable amount of time: easy to write alternatives is way more important
than to have one fat and ultra-complex, corporation locked-in, mega comfy,
super duper language.

Look at rust, they are trying: they are writting a kernel. But face the
consequences: there are no syntax profiles... you get strings hardcoded in the
syntax, why not threading while they're at it... lol. I wish you luck with
their SDK: they have a rust compiler written in rust, but the main SDK
(bootstrap), is just an insane bloat based on smelly c++ and... the infamous
and magnificiently "comfy" mozilla build system. Where is the suckless compiler
written in simple C with basic makefiles or idiotic but soooo ez to understand
simple sh scripts?

Oh! Wait! But that's not our pb, it's properly packages and ez to access in
redhat,suse and ubuntu!
It's there why not use it!

--
Sylvain