Re: [dev] Xorg implementations

From: Hiltjo Posthuma <hiltjo_AT_codemadness.org>
Date: Sun, 2 Jul 2017 20:19:56 +0200

On Sun, Jul 02, 2017 at 08:43:59AM -0300, Alba Pompeo wrote:
> There's tinyxserver and the accompanying tinyxlib but they are kind of
> abandoned.
> I never tried it myself but if you do I'd be interested to know how it goes.
> https://github.com/idunham/tinyxserver
> https://github.com/idunham/tinyxlib
>
> There's also Nano-X and the accompanying nxlib but I don't know how
> they compare.
> https://github.com/ghaerr/microwindows
> https://github.com/ghaerr/nxlib
>
> Good luck.

I've tried tinyxserver a few years ago for the static Linux distribution
Morpheus (now in hibernation). tinyxserver can run basic X applications, dwm
and dmenu seemed to work (pre-Xft) iirc [0]. It also required patching to get
it to work with musl.

It had only framebuffer support (no 2D/video acceleration), which is a must
for me. A static Xorg also worked, but could not load dynamic modules at the
time (due to dlopen(3)).

[0] - https://git.2f30.org/ports/file/tinyxserver/mkfile.html

--
Kind regards,