Re: [dev] [question] gobo linux filesystem hierarchy

From: Cág <ca6c_AT_bitmessage.ch>
Date: Tue, 4 Jul 2017 21:59:06 +0100

Kajetan Jasztal wrote:

> What do you think can be the downsides of filesystem hierarchy of
> Gobo Linux[0]? STALI[1] was attempting to modify default hierarchy
> after all. I personaly think it's clear, evident (only problem I have
> is hiding symlinks in /) and elegant. It's in a way compatible with
> Unixes by symlinking. I guess it's not that good after all, but
> I can't see what can be the problem here.

Hi,

I honestly think it creates more mess. stali does it the other way around
by putting all executables in /bin.

And the implementation isn't pretty; look at their .bashrc, symlink hell or
their commitment to uppercase letters. They claim it simplifies the removal
but a simple "make uninstall" can do that too.

If someone needs a directory for locally installed software, there are
already /opt, /usr/local, /usr/pkg or even /home.

cd'ing to, say, /Programs/Bash/4.4/Settings to adjust something to is
probably annoying. I suppose Windows does something similar.

--
caóc