Re: [dev] Some suckless hackathon 2017 preparation

From: Laslo Hunhold <dev_AT_frign.de>
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2017 11:59:59 +0200

On Mon, 24 Jul 2017 22:13:36 -0500
Joshua Haase <hahj87_AT_gmail.com> wrote:

Hey Joshua,

> I do think a good issue tracker is needed and would be willing to
> contribute on september 2-3 (although maybe in a different time zone:
> [UTC-6]).
>
> As for useless bug reports, a good cure would be to give access only
> to people who can make a pair of ssh keys and sign with gpg their bug
> reports.

I honestly agree with Hiltjo here. Issue trackers lead to the
developers becoming code monkeys, being flooded with
invalid/useless/insane bug reports.
In my opinion, a bug report on how "Uselessfont stops working under dwm"
is helpful, especially given the fact 99% of all suckless bug reports
are linked to problems with the underlying sucky libraries (fontconfig,
webkit, gstreamer,...).
Bugs in suckless tools themselves are trivial to fix most of the time,
and thus it is expected by the reporter to submit a patch with his
report automatically.

We should rather spend our time on moving away from some of these
harmful libraries and improve the code than waste it with this crap.

I would go as far to say that issue trackers are harmful, only exciting
for those who don't work themselves, i.e. for those who like to
delegate work. The parallel to how most companies are run nowadays,
where managers with their corporate newspeak make decisions on things
they don't understand (see Scrum for instance), is striking. Requiring
a minimal amount of technical understanding is not too much to ask.

With best regards

Laslo Hunhold

--
Laslo Hunhold <dev_AT_frign.de>