Re: [dev] Some suckless hackathon 2017 preparation

From: Silvan Jegen <s.jegen_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2017 20:52:48 +0200

On Wed, Jul 26, 2017 at 12:05:01PM -0500, Joshua Haase wrote:
> Anselm R Garbe <garbeam_AT_gmail.com> writes:
>
> > IMHO this view is short sighted. The point of an _issue_ tracker (not
> > every issue is a bug) is not the possibility to flood the developer
> > with random bug reports, but to provide a simple infrastructure to
> > organize and priotize a TODO list for the development of a certain
> > project -- AND also to document the development, why some decision was
> > made at some point in time. The idea for a suckless issue tracker is
> > to make it mailing-list based, so that one can work with it with plain
> > mails. It thus also allows discussions and patches.
>
> I agree with this view of the issue tracker.

I agree as well.

The immediate issue that comes to mind when reading this description
is that (git) patches that have been sent by email can be quite easily
detected (since they have a relatively strict format) while mails
containing issues may be harder to handle. Unless one would use some
specially-formatted emails for issues that can then be automatically
picked up from the mailing list by an issue tracker. That may not be a
bad idea, actually...