Re: [dev] [ANN] samurai: ninja-compatible build tool

From: <sylvain.bertrand_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2017 09:51:55 +0000

On Thu, Jul 27, 2017 at 10:08:08AM +1200, David Phillips wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 26, 2017 at 09:32:15AM -0700, Michael Forney wrote:
> > … Anyway, I'm a little suprised about the distaste for ninja since
> > it's features are pretty much the same as POSIX make (variable
> > assignments and rule definitions).
>
> I suppose the last half of that sentence outlines the distaste for it;
> maybe it is reinventing the wheel?

It is basically make, but it's proud to be "faster". I don't understand this
"faster" on our super powerfull computers, how could it be significant? Coze
it's just computing dependencies and firing-up some commands.

A good benchmark with significant results would be to compile, for instance, a
massive pile of junk like llvm, with ninja then make... but we cannot, because
last time I checked, cmake(c++) was able to generate a parallel build system
only for ninja and not make.

--
Sylvain