Re: [dev] [dwm] Opening some URLs in a web browser crashes dwm

From: Laslo Hunhold <dev_AT_frign.de>
Date: Sun, 6 Aug 2017 20:37:30 +0200

On Sun, 6 Aug 2017 16:38:27 +0200
Milán Csaba Kecskés <milan.kecskes_AT_gmail.com> wrote:

Hey Milán,

> I've experienced the bug mentioned in the title. No matter which
> browser - tried with Chromium 60, Firefox 54, Midori, Epiphany,
> QupZilla, even Dillo, but all of the browsers crash dwm when opening
> these links in them (disabling javascript does not help):
>
> https://www.reddit.com/r/firstworldanarchists/comments/6rvdn9/nice_grain/
> https://twitter.com/hurlarious/status/889213344749559808/photo/1
>
> I use Arch Linux. Only dwm is affected, the links open with no problem
> under i3. I've tried with the dwm package from the Arch repo (which
> was built using the unmodified config.h I guess), cloning the git repo
> and compiling myself with the vanilla config, but nothing changes: the
> result is a crash when opening these links.

what both links have in common is that they have Unicode characters in
their title. It has been reported before, that with some special fonts,
dwm crashes, but I and nobody on the team has been able to reproduce
this.
The minimal test case would be to create a simple X-window with a title
containing the aforementioned unicode characters. Given the problem is
not reproducible on the devs' computers, it might be a long haul until
this will be debugged.

depending on your skill, do you mind dissecting the font rendering in
the dwm-code wrt to the title bars? The line responsible for drawing
the window title texts is 735 in dwm.c[0].

With best regards

Laslo Hunhold

[0]: http://git.suckless.org/dwm/tree/dwm.c#n735

--