Re: [dev] What would a well-designed voice assistant program look like?

From: Nick <suckless-dev_AT_njw.me.uk>
Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2018 14:33:39 +0000

Quoth Laslo Hunhold:
> You'll not get around having to rely on a pre-trained neuronal network
> unless you manage to formalize speech (partially done) or intelligence
> (currently not done and probably impossible).
> In this regard, personal assistants will by definition be bound to
> centralized services, and if you ever think about solving it in open
> source, it will have to be distributed like Diaspora or something
> comparable. If you design it as a "single instance" from the get-go, it
> will fail in the long run.

Well, training such a neural network would certainly require a lot
of computer power and resources, but unless I'm mistaken I don't
think running a query through it should be challenging for a non-
internet connected computer. I haven't used speech recognition
neural network stuff before, but I'd be surprised if it needed more
space and compute power than were available on a smartphone.

I don't really see the point of these assistants, but I certainly
wouldn't consider one with the current architecture of "send every
sound to large SF corporations."